Friday, April 27, 2007

PENFOLD'S KOONUNGA HILLS SHIRAZ

Hello,


A few weeks ago, I wrote about Penfold's Koonunga Hill Shiraz/Cabernet ($12) as my favorite everyday red wine. Today, we look at the 2004 Koonunga Hill Shiraz ($12).


This is a very good value, as are most of Penfold's wines. It is a blend of Shiraz grapes from several locations, so no appellation Koonunga Hill is not an appellation). Some of the more expensive Penfold's Shiraz wines, like Bin 22 and Henri's Shiraz are more complex and are, well, better wines, but they cost 2 to 3 times as much as this wine.

The Shiraz has a nice structure, with strong fruit and a mineral and spice background. The 2005 is now out, so you may not find the 2004 vintage much longer. My guess is that the 2005 will not be very different, as this is a wine crafted for consistency.

I enjoyed a first glass with a nice Costa Rican cigar purchased on my recent visit there. The wine went nicely with the cigar, providing a nice contrast and merging well with the flavor of the cigar.

The second glass was with a solitary dinner - what I call a "Mediterranean" Dinner of olives, cheddar and Edam cheeses on French bread, grapes, and some smoked salmon. The Koonunga Hills Shiraz went well with the food, making for a very enjoyable late afternoon and early evening.

Given that the Shiraz/Cabernet blend is the same price as the Shiraz, my preference is for the former. The Cabernet adds body and a richer fruit experience. In either case, at the $12 retail price (I got mine on sale for $7.99 at Bev-Mo), either wine is an excellent value.


What do you think?


The Wine Saver

3 comments:

Colorado Brewguy said...

Recently I bought the Koonunga products for $4.99 a bottle, the liquior store had excess inventory!

Colorado Brewguy said...

Given that this was such a deal I bought two cases. Now I want to go back a buy as much as I can, as I really believe this is a great deal for $4.99! This include all the Koonunga wines! Shiraz, Cabernet, blends and so on.

Unknown said...

I just had this wine last night...My sister and I both enjoyed it with our sushi. YUM!