Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A TRIP TO MICHIGAN

Hello,


Last week, Dorianne and I flew to Traverse City, Michigan, at the top of the state, to pick up our daughter from camp. While there, we took a day (my birthday, in fact) to drive out to the Old Mission Peninsula and visit some wineries. I must say that the experience was better than I expected.


First of all, the area is beautiful. It's green, it's surrounded by lakes, there are cherry orchards, vineyards, and rolling countryside. Beautiful. And, you could not see the air, which is nice for someone from near Los Angeles.


Second, the wines were very nice. We visited three wineries, Brys Estates, Bowers Harbor Vineyards, and Peninsula Cellars. Each was charming, set in a beautiful location, and had some nice wines. The best, in our opinion, was Brys Estates. They have obviously put a lot of capital into their operation, with 24 acres under cultivation, a state of the art tasting room and winery, and a very knowledgeable staff.



It was a great trip, and I recommend it to anyone who likes beautiful countryside, nice wines, and by the way, very nice dining. We took some pictures, but I don't have access to them right now - I'll post some later.


Tomorrow, we leave for 10 days on the Monterey Peninsula where we will attend a conference. I'm sure there will be some excuse to have some wine. Stay tuned.


'Till Next Time,
The Wine Saver

3 comments:

Trenting said...

Great, I'm always looking for places to wine and dine that aren't too far away.. This looks like a nice road trip to venture out on.
Will be back to check for your pics..

Thanks

GollyGumDrops said...

I visit Detroit most years, and have explored the state which is outstandingly beautifil, but haven't tried the wines orvisitied the vineyards. I've been hearing more about them recently, so will schedule a drive north next time I visit I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

LutheranChik said...

My partner and I just came back from a day trip up the Leelanau Peninsula, where we visited four wineries...gorgeous vistas, beautiful weather, and of course great wine! The next time you're in our state and in that area, check out Longview Winery and Chateau Fontaine. The Pinot Gris at Chateau Fontaine was, I think, especially good. Among other wine discoveries we made were some amazing cherry wines -- if fruit wines make you think of Boone's Farm or some frightening homemade concoction from a great-aunt's cellar, you will be pleasantly surprised by the complexity and versatility of some of the Leelanau cherry wines...they'd be very good served with Thanksgiving turkey, ham or roast pork loin.

Anyway, cheers from a couple of foodies/novice wineiacs from Michigan!