Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A NICE BARGAIN CABERNET

Hello:

Last night, I decided to get a quick meal before teaching my evening class, so I went to California Pizza Kitchen in Thousand Oaks. I noticed that they have added an EOS Cabernet Sauvingnon to their wine list.

I have seen EOS at Bev-Mo, a discount wine retailer in California and Arizona - usually discounted to around $10.00 per bottle. So I saw the opportunity to try a glass at Pizza Kitchen as good fortune, as I have grown somewhat suspicious of low priced Cabernets.

The wine retails for $14.00 at Bev-Mo, and for $18.00 on the EOS website, making the current Bev-Mo price of $9.99 a real bargain. EOS Winery also has a reserve Cabernet for $32.00. I plan to try the reserve if I can find it, given the quality of the estate Cabernet.

Their website is http://www.eosvintange.com

I has a glass of the 2004 vintage, the current vintage in general release. EOS winery is located in Paso Robles.

I found it very pleasant, full-bodied with a nice fruit balance. It finished well (I had about half of the glass before my food came, the other half with the food, a carne asada pizza). I think I have found another everyday red wine candidate.

Here are the tasting notes from the website:

Intriguing aromas of cassis, black cherry, boysenberry and toasty oak compliment the rich, dark ruby color of our 2004 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. Luscious flavors of ripe plum and blackberry lead to an incredibly long finish with notes of dark chocolate. This full-bodied wine can be enjoyed in its youth, but will improve with careful cellaring.

The wine went well with the pizza - not the purest choice for pairing, but it did complement the beef and the salsa, holding its own against some strongly flavored food.

If you have tried EOS wines, let me know what you think.

The Wine Saver

No comments: