Monday, January 7, 2008

GIESEN SAUVIGNON BLANC - MARLBOROUGH, NZ


Hello,

Happy New Year!

My friend Steven and I shared a very nice New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc on Saturday. We were returning from a memorial service of a friend and colleague who was a wine afficionado - so naturally, we stopped for a toast. We stopped at City Grille on Ventura Blvd at Laurel Canyon Road in LA. We selected the Giesen, which neither of us had tried, from the modest wine list.

The 2006 Giesen Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc ($13.99) has a grassy, lemony nose, and a medium-dry gooseberry/citrus flavor with hints of herb. It went very well with my Manhattan clam chowder and crab cake (a nice imitation of a Maryland crab cake for a California restaurant).

The next day, I saw the 2007 vintage at Whole Foods in Thousand Oaks for $11.99. I recommend this wine with seafood or just with cheese an crackers - I will definately purchase more. What do you think?

'Till Next Time,
The Wine Saver

No comments: