Saturday, May 12, 2007

DOCLETTO D'ALBA

Hello,


Last night, Dorianne and I went to a local Italian restaurant called Dolcetto's in Agoura, on Kanan Road. It was the first time I have eaten there, although I pass it regularly.

Once inside, I reviewed the wine list - searching for that elusive Italian red wine that I grew to love in the mid 90's while living in Baltimore - Dolcetto D'Alba.

Dolcetto is the wine, D'Alba is the appellation, Piedmont is the region. Docletto means "sweet," yet the wine is very dry. It is low is acidity, however. Some Dolcettos are fruity and some are more earthy/spicy. They are not complex wines, but I find them very pleasant and easy to drink, in some ways similar to Malbec.

The only Dolcetto that Dolcetto's had last night was the Marcarini Fontanazza Dolcetto D'Alba 2004 ($15) - $35 at the restaurant. Since Dolcetto is a wine to drink young (be wary of anything older that 3-4 years), the 2004 was prime in terms of age.

The Fontanazza has a rich floral nose and fruit and almonds on the palate. The tannins are pretty light, making for a smooth drinking experience.

I had a salad followed by linguine with white clam sauce. Dorianne had a wonderful red pepper soup followed by a beautiful salmon with red sauce. The Dolcetto was a pleasing companion to the meal. We will return to Dolcetto's.

You can find Dolcettos in wine store with large stocks of Italian wines. I hardly ever find it in restaurants. It is not an expensive wine, so I guess it does not get written about too often. It is a red wine that I enjoy, in part from a sentimental stance, as it was one of the first wines I had when I was being introduced to the world of wine.

What do you think?

The Wine Saver

No comments: