Tuesday, May 22, 2007

WILLIAM HILL ESTATE CABERNET SAUVIGNON

Hello,

My second encounter with William Hill Estate Cabernet Sauvignon ($22), when I was upgraded to First Class on an American Airlines Flight on the Dallas to Burbank leg of a Ft. Lauderdale to Burbank flight. They were serving it as their red wine in First Class that day.

Oddly enough, my first encounter was less than 24 hours earlier when I had purchased a bottle to take to a dinner party. For some reason, the bottle spoke to me from the shelf and I picked it up. Who says that wine packaging is not important?

Dorianne and I shared a bottle of the 2003 vintage last night with BBQ chicken breasts, penne pasta with garlic, butter & Parmesan, and grilled eggplant and peppers. The wine went well with the food.

The notes from the William Hill website: http://williamhillestate.com/home.cfm

Wine Maker's Notes: The Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is a supple yet substantial wine, exhibiting aromas of cassis, currant and raspberry. A small percentage of grapes are whole berry fermented, contributing softness in the tannin structure and an added richness, polished texture and body.

The William Hill Cabernet is 100% Cabernet grapes. The 2003 vintage was aged in oak for 15.5 months. A nice wine for the price.

I find that its strength is in the structure and softness, giving the wine a nice mouth-feel. It is not as fruity as another favorite in the same price range, Murphy-Goode, and it give the impression of being a more expensive wine. While I prefer the Murphy-Goode, the William Hill is a nice wine.

Again, I found this wine on sale for $15.99 at Pavillion's Grocery and bought a couple of bottles. Also, today at Bev-Mo in Westlake, I discovered a cache of 2003 Greg Norman Limestone Ridge Shiraz on sale for $9.99. Most places have the 2005 in, so the 2003 must have been in a warehouse or the back of the store for a while. I didn't leave much there, so if you are in the area . . .

What do you think?

'Till next time,
The Wine Saver


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am enjoying the "Reserve" version of this wine. Nice!